Friday, January 20, 2012

A week in the snow

Today was my first trip back to the gym since Monday due to all of the snow.  I used to dread going to the gym and I now was so anxious to get back down there!  Yeah Gold's Gym!  Pilar & Chuck braved the roads today and invited me to join them.  I pushed hard and made good use of the time.  I rode the Bent Spoke trail on the Expresso bike and beat my previous record by 5 minutes!  Progress, yeah!  Afterwards I focused on upper body strengthening and ended by walking up 65 flights of stairs.  Definitely tired!  :-)

Today I had been feeling a little disappointed and discouraged that I have hit 2 weeks of the Challenge and wasn't noticing a significant change.  Thankfully I decided to bring out the measuring tape and body fat machine and discovered my waist is 3 inches smaller, my hips are 1 inch smaller and my thighs are also an inch smaller.  I have decreased from 32% body fat to 29.5% and I have lost 9 lbs so far.   No longer discouraged!

Yesterday I went for another walk in the snow.  This time I decided to push it harder.  I trudged 6 miles roundtrip to QFC and picked up some more produce.  By the end, my knees were really bothering me.  I was grateful that they had recovered by this morning.  Looks like my recovery time has improved as well.  Now I hope to eventually avoid the knee pain all together. 

My food plan has been much easier than expected.  I love eating fruits and vegetables and so that has been a simple addition to every meal.  The protein component has been easier now that I can add the protein powder when it looks like I will be too low.  Water has still been an issue.  I am finding it challenging to drink a minimum of 80 ounces of water each day.

Today I ordered an Omron pedometer to encourage me to take more steps throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment